3.04.2009

I love my husband and baby prep


Last night, Ryan stayed up all night making tamales. We've been trying to master the skill for a couple years now, but could never get it just right. I was always the one trying to do it.

This time it was Ryan's project.
I let him make the dough, spread it and fill it, and roll the tamale up. I stood there and watched in awe as my husband did all of this in less time than I could have ever done it. After he had assembled all of them, I took strips of corn husks and tied a cute little knot on all of them to hold them together.



Yes, that's ALL I did. Ryan did all the rest of the work. He seasoned the meat with green chilies and tomatillos rather than the typical red chilies. These tamales turned out better than ANY I have EVER tasted before. It must be in his blood (and obviously not mine). And anyone that knows Ryan, knows that any food he cooks has FLAVOR! Ooh, these were so good!

We ended up with about 50 tamales. Some of these haven't been eaten yet and are being frozen for easy meals after the baby's born.

The only thing I have done to prepare meals is make a few pot pies (thanks Celia for the recipe)




and tonight I froze some extra cookie dough. (Are cookies good enough for dinner?) I did make some granola for an easy breakfast, but K and E decided to dump THE ENTIRE CONTAINER on the floor Sunday night. I was a little upset! I'm hoping to have plenty of easy freezer meals for when I don't feel like cooking after the baby's born. Most of my meals can't be frozen, though, so I don't know what I'm going to do for most of them. Maybe just make a seasoning packet for them and dump it in when I need it? Has anyone frozen homemade corn tortillas? The tortillas are probably the most 'difficult' part of my meals, even though they aren't difficult at all.

I just hope I recover as easily/quickly with this one as I did with Kate! I was bringing other new moms meals just 2 weeks after Kate was born.

Just 11 more weeks to go...if I make it to my due date. Hopefully she doesn't spoil Ryan's graduation ceremony!

No comments: