We had someone in our ward do a gardening class last
week. I got so motivated by it that I decided I wanted to do a garden this
year. I decided on the perfect location (the side of my front yard that isn't
being used by anything) and started to soften the dirt and mix in the organic
matter that was sitting on top (leaves from our tree from 3 years ago). While I
was at it, I went ahead and dug out the weeds/grass in the garden area in front
of my house. It was a really nice day yesterday and it was so relaxing to be
outside working in the soil.
When I finished working for the day, at about 6pm, I went to take a shower. This is a tangent story, but I'll tell it all now anyway. The water was slightly warmer than cold. I shivered the whole time. I thought maybe the water heater timer had accidentally been turned on again (it's usually only turned on during the summer peak hours). I didn't think anything else of it until bedtime when I went to do the dishes and the water STILL didn't get warm. I told Ryan to check it out and we figured that our water heater had gone out. I checked out prices of water heaters and they run about $600. Ouch! We definitely could not afford to buy a new one. We started thinking about what we could sell to get the money quick. Ryan went into the other room and started looking at a catalog that he has. He found replacement parts for water heaters for about $20. He decided to look on the internet and see how to fix it himself. He found some directions to test each component to see what was wrong with it and out to the garage he went. A few minutes later he came back in and asked me to help him. I had to stand next to the water heater and listen for a click or watch for sparks (haha) while he turned the power back on. I heard the click and there were no sparks. He came back and told me that the water heater timer was not letting any power through. He had simply bypassed the timer and hooked the electricity straight to the water heater. So, not only was it free to 'fix' the water heater, we had hot water before we went to bed! Boy, am I lucky to have such a smart husband! It amazes me what he is able to fix!
Back on to my first story. After I finished out in the yard, I went to make dinner. I could tell my body was a little sore, but I didn't worry about it. By bedtime, I wished I had a live-in massage therapist. I could barely walk around. Each time I moved my legs, I would have needles shooting up and down the back of my legs. The first few times it happened, I thought I had a thorn in my clothes and actually checked my clothes to see if anything was there. All night my back was just achy and had the sciatic nerve thing going on. Now that I am awake, my muscles are so tender I just want to stretch them! I know I shouldn't have worked the ENTIRE day yesterday with a shovel and bending over the whole time. (Here's more proof that I'm not 24 anymore, Shelane.) But the crazy thing is, I want to do more today! I think I'm going to get my potato cages ready today and maybe level out some more of my back yard (it's almost done!) I just LOVE working outside in nice weather! I think I'm addicted to dirt.
When I finished working for the day, at about 6pm, I went to take a shower. This is a tangent story, but I'll tell it all now anyway. The water was slightly warmer than cold. I shivered the whole time. I thought maybe the water heater timer had accidentally been turned on again (it's usually only turned on during the summer peak hours). I didn't think anything else of it until bedtime when I went to do the dishes and the water STILL didn't get warm. I told Ryan to check it out and we figured that our water heater had gone out. I checked out prices of water heaters and they run about $600. Ouch! We definitely could not afford to buy a new one. We started thinking about what we could sell to get the money quick. Ryan went into the other room and started looking at a catalog that he has. He found replacement parts for water heaters for about $20. He decided to look on the internet and see how to fix it himself. He found some directions to test each component to see what was wrong with it and out to the garage he went. A few minutes later he came back in and asked me to help him. I had to stand next to the water heater and listen for a click or watch for sparks (haha) while he turned the power back on. I heard the click and there were no sparks. He came back and told me that the water heater timer was not letting any power through. He had simply bypassed the timer and hooked the electricity straight to the water heater. So, not only was it free to 'fix' the water heater, we had hot water before we went to bed! Boy, am I lucky to have such a smart husband! It amazes me what he is able to fix!
Back on to my first story. After I finished out in the yard, I went to make dinner. I could tell my body was a little sore, but I didn't worry about it. By bedtime, I wished I had a live-in massage therapist. I could barely walk around. Each time I moved my legs, I would have needles shooting up and down the back of my legs. The first few times it happened, I thought I had a thorn in my clothes and actually checked my clothes to see if anything was there. All night my back was just achy and had the sciatic nerve thing going on. Now that I am awake, my muscles are so tender I just want to stretch them! I know I shouldn't have worked the ENTIRE day yesterday with a shovel and bending over the whole time. (Here's more proof that I'm not 24 anymore, Shelane.) But the crazy thing is, I want to do more today! I think I'm going to get my potato cages ready today and maybe level out some more of my back yard (it's almost done!) I just LOVE working outside in nice weather! I think I'm addicted to dirt.
No comments:
Post a Comment